Newbie questions - libraries, debug from reset vector, running without debug

Discuss how to use the features of Atollic TrueSTUDIO, including the editor, assembler, C/C++ compiler, linker, debugger, static code analysis and team collaboration tools.

Moderators: Markus Girdland, Mattias Norlander

kayess

Newbie questions - libraries, debug from reset vector, running without debug

Postby kayess » Tue May 14, 2019 3:11 am

Hello all.

I'm new to TrueStudio; apologies for what may be some simple questions. I have started with a SMT32F1 Value Line discovery kit, following the provided instructions for starting a project and then gone off adding and modifying to play around with it. I'm quite overwhelmed with all the IDE options - hopefully they'll make more sense as I use them.

1. In the Project Explorer I see h files in Includes and c files in Libraries. I want to use my existing libraries. I cannot find a way to add them through the IDE, only by depositing copies of the libraries into the existing Libraries folder for the project. Is there any way I can include existing files with a reference in the project explorer? And to ensure they are not editable within the IDE's own editer?

2. I can debug but cannot for the life of me figure out how to just make a simple run configuration to flash the target and let it run.

3. I like poking around the disassembly to see what's actually going on. When debugging a reset brings me to main(). I would love to view the start-up assembly prior to that, from the reset vector. Is there any way?

Thank you.
Kris.

bizulk

Re: Newbie questions - libraries, debug from reset vector, running without debug

Postby bizulk » Mon May 27, 2019 6:56 am

1) Use the projects properties : settings (linker)
2) You can still launch debug with a release build, and disconnect. Otherwise use the STMCubeProgrammer tool
3) windows -> Show View -> dissassembly window.

You may spend some time on reading : Eclipse CDT User Guide

kayess

Re: Newbie questions - libraries, debug from reset vector, running without debug

Postby kayess » Wed May 29, 2019 12:28 am

Thank you for responding.

> You can still launch debug with a release build, and disconnect.

Yes, I discovered that, but was wondering if there is any debug relic left in the device? Is this suitable for small scale production programming?

> windows -> Show View -> dissassembly window.

Unfortunately a reset brings the PC to the disassembly for main(). I cannot step from the reset vector itself.

Return to “Atollic TrueSTUDIO tool discussions”