Link time problem: "error: ./{truncated directory name}: No such file or directory"

Discuss how to use the features of Atollic TrueSTUDIO, including the editor, assembler, C/C++ compiler, linker, debugger, static code analysis and team collaboration tools.

Moderators: Markus Girdland, Mattias Norlander

apu092017

Link time problem: "error: ./{truncated directory name}: No such file or directory"

Postby apu092017 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:41 am

Hi,

I am in the process of migrating a project from IAR Embedded Studio to Atollic TrueSTUDIO for STM32 (Version 9.1.0, Build id: 20181011-1241) (the code has previously compiled and linked with no problem using the IAR toolchain).

I have imported all of my source code into a fresh project targeted at the correct MCU (STM32F407) and configured the source and include paths and the C/C++ symbols required. I'm using the "Atollic ARM Tools" toolchain with the "GNU Make Builder". All the source builds OK but I get an unusual error right at the link stage:

Let's say the root directory for my source code is called "mycode" (it's 6 characters long).
The error I get is (truncated for clarity and with proprietary names obfuscated but maintaining the essence of what is happening):

arm-atollic-eabi-g++ -c "../mycode/build/my_file.cpp" -mthumb -mcpu=cortex-m4 -mfloat-abi=hard -mfpu=fpv4-sp-d16 -std=gnu++14 -DSTM32F4XX -DSTM32F40XX -DUSE_STDPERIPH_DRIVER -D__FPU_PRESENT -DARM_MATH_CM4 -DENABLE_DEBUG_PRINTF -DHAS_STDINT_H -DHSE_VALUE=8000000 -DSTM32F407_DISCOVERY -D__ICCARM__ -I../src -I"C:\Project\my_firmware\mycode" -I"C:\Project\my_firmware\mycode\3rd-party\ST\STM32F4xx_DSP_StdPeriph_Lib_V1.4.0\Libraries\CMSIS\Device\ST\STM32F4xx\Include" {more includes here etc etc ...} -O0 -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions -g -fstack-usage -Wall -fno-threadsafe-statics -MMD -MP -MF"mycode/build/my_file.d" -MT"mycode/build/my_file.o" -o "mycode/build/my_file.o"

arm-atollic-eabi-g++ -o "my_firmware.elf" ./mycode/source/framework/scheduler/Scheduler.o ./mycode/source/drivers/system/system_stm32f4xx.o ./mycode/3rd-party/CMSIS/CMSIS/DSP/Source/StatisticsFunctions/arm_min_q7.o ./mycode/3rd-party/CMSIS/CMSIS/DSP/Source/StatisticsFunctions/arm_power_f32.o {more *.o files here etc etc ...} -mthumb -mcpu=cortex-m4 -mfloat-abi=hard -mfpu=fpv4-sp-d16 -T"../stm32f4_flash.ld" -specs=nosys.specs -static -Wl,-cref,-u,Reset_Handler "-Wl,-Map=my_firmware.map" -Wl,--gc-sections -Wl,--defsym=malloc_getpagesize_P=0x1000 -Wl,--start-group -lc -lm -lstdc++ -lsupc++ -Wl,--end-group

arm-atollic-eabi-g++.exe: error: ./mycod: No such file or directory

make: *** [makefile:78: my_firmware.elf] Error 1

Clearly I don't expect "mycod" to be found since this is non-existent. My question is why Atollic is attempting to look for something with this name in the first place. I have tried the following:

- Opened the .project file in a text editor and searched for "mycod" and "mycode" - the same number of instances of each is found, so "mycod" is not referenced there. Every path starts with "./mycode" as intended.
- Copied and pasted the linker command into a text editor and done a similar search - again "mycod" is not found.
- Cleaned the project, deleted the build directory and rebuilt it (so the Makefiles were regenerated) - same result.
- Moved the project to the root of my hard drive in case long paths were a problem - same result.

A search around has not thrown up any other instances of this error. I can only assume that a path or command somewhere is getting truncated. I would be very grateful for any ideas of what could be happening.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Return to “Atollic TrueSTUDIO tool discussions”