Error: Could not verify ST device

Discuss how to use the features of Atollic TrueSTUDIO, including the editor, assembler, C/C++ compiler, linker, debugger, static code analysis and team collaboration tools.

Moderators: Markus Girdland, Mattias Norlander

Anwaarullah

Re: Error: Could not verify ST device

Postby Anwaarullah » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:11 pm

This in all probability is caused due to a fake STM uC/Chip on the BluePill Board.

I spent two days trying to figure this out, trying out almost all the supported IDEs, flashing and upgrading the ST-Link firmware a hundred+ times, when finally it hit me to reflow the Microcontroller on the BluePill and solder an Original STM Microcontroller (with the marking STM32F103C8T6). And then, it simply worked!

The fake/cloned Microcontrollers won't have the ST Logo imprinted and will have some vague markings.

So, if you're trying out on the inexpenseive BluePill Board and get:

Code: Select all

Vendor = 0x3B
Error in initializing ST-Link device.
Reason: ST-LINK: Could not verify ST device!
Abort connection.

Simply swap the on-board MicroController with a legit STM one and it'll solve your Issue.

(My STLink is an on-board STLink of a Nucleo Board. The cloned STLinks are also a PITA. Two STLinks I cracked open had two different families of STM uC!)

didier9

Postby didier9 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:23 pm

I think the problem is with the cheap STLink clone because the debugger works fine with the same Bluepill when using an official STLink2 bought directly from the ST web site, even though the chip on the Blue Pill is not an ST part (it has a CKS marking).

My understanding is that the cheap STLink clones are not compatible with the current version of the Atollic debugger, even though they work with the flasher.

The cheap STLink clone I bought from AliExpress does have an ST branded chip inside, an STM32F101CBT6 apparently.

I also bought another STLink clone from AliExpress but this one actually looks exactly like the official ST Micro device in the white plastic shell. I have not tried it yet, I will update this post when I do.

didier9

Postby didier9 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:35 pm

Here is the chip in the clone STLink2 bought from AliExpress:
STLink2 chip.jpg

Here is the chip on the BluePill board also bought from AliExpress:
BluePill clone processor.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

j_sadi

Postby j_sadi » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:55 am

I had exactly the same problem. After a few days of searching I found out that STM uC/Chip on the BluePill Board is fake.
then i reflow the Microcontroller on the BluePill and solder an Original STM32F103C8T6. And then, worked. ;)

Return to “Atollic TrueSTUDIO tool discussions”