SWD speed - STLINK-V3

Discussions concerning TrueSTUDIO for STM32 9.0.0 and later versions.

Moderators: Markus Girdland, Mattias Norlander

lloydchristmas

SWD speed - STLINK-V3

Postby lloydchristmas » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:49 am

Hi there,

I am trying TrueSTUDIO 9.1.0 and let me first say that I am very pleased with the use of STM32CubeProgrammer to erase/program FLASH for debugging, as it is MUCH faster (especially with STM32L0 chips).

I have an issue with the STLINK-V3, though: TrueSTUDIO sets the SWD speed to 24MHz, but it seems to be too fast for STM32L0 chips (or maybe the cable I use is not good enough). How can I reduce the SWD clock speed in the Debug configuration? Is there a line I can add in Startup Scripts?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Olivier

DD4DA

Re: SWD speed - STLINK-V3

Postby DD4DA » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:23 pm

It's to fast for the chip - try 4Mhz instead.

lloydchristmas

Postby lloydchristmas » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:51 am

Hi DD4DA,

Actually, I know it's too fast for the STM32L0. My question was: how do I reduce the SWD speed in TrueSTUDIO debug configuration?

Thanks,

Olivier

DD4DA

Postby DD4DA » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:06 pm

lloydchristmas wrote:Hi DD4DA,

Actually, I know it's too fast for the STM32L0. My question was: how do I reduce the SWD speed in TrueSTUDIO debug configuration?

Thanks,

Olivier

In the debug script called :"Target Software Setup Script". Th evalues are depend on the used Debugger Hardware. In regular case i don't use the ST-Link. I perfere using Segger J-Link, that Atollic supports too.

lloydchristmas

Postby lloydchristmas » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:16 pm

Hi DD4DA,
Thanks for the effort of replying, but you still did not provide an answer to my question. If you don't know, that's ok...
Olivier

DonalHE

Postby DonalHE » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:03 pm

Did you guys have any luck with this? Also need to slow down the ST-Link SWD speed to a device.
Cheers,
Donal

rawand

Postby rawand » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:35 am

Its amazing.Keep it up.
Graduated from Soran University with First Class Degree with Honours in Computer Science.

DD4DA

Postby DD4DA » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:52 pm

Even a half years is passed and None solution was found, i want to spend some notice about the ST-Link.
Several years ago, i did some experiences with external Debuggers like them from Keil and Segger. I got the first ST-Discovery boards with the on-board jtag Debugger - the ST-Link. After a few Hours of work with them and the Code size is raised, teh ST-Link was getting quite slow in upload oder every other on-chip online Operation. A few weeks after that, i had decide me to attach an external J-Link to the ST-Disco board.
I had used this configuration several month, until the Project was finished. I had never attempt to reactivate the on.board ST-link again, that time.
Later, i startet again with an on-board STlink on the STM32F7-Discovery board. At Debugging FreeRTOS, i got in Trouble with an unexpected jump into an isr, even i had not placed a breakpoint their. This seems to be a chip bug of the R0 Series of the STm32F746 kernel. This make it impossible to use the STLink again. I had read about Seggers free available Firmware tool, who convert the on-board stlink Firmware by a j-link (and vice versa!!). Since that time, i don't use an stlink for regular development. Segger had implement a work-around in the Firmware, that the Debugger Response as it would like on a bug-free CPU kernel. The Firmware is free available for discovery and nucleo board only.

Well, somtimes it's required to reinstall the stlink Firmware again. This is often required in relation using the security fuse Burning.
I am sure that this is not the best way to go, that i found out to work-around the stlink issues. But it makes the Situation more handy for me.

Return to “TrueSTUDIO for STM32 discussions”