"elf not found" Message when opening debugger

Discussions concerning TrueSTUDIO for STM32 9.0.0 and later versions.

Moderators: Markus Girdland, Mattias Norlander

rwduggan

"elf not found" Message when opening debugger

Postby rwduggan » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:11 pm

I have been working on a small project; everything was going well. Was able to build and open the debugger.
Now, when attempting to open the debugger, I get a message that "Program file does not exist
W:\Pulsar Files\CAN Project\Cortex Project Files\Atollic_Eclipse\CAN-PRO M0\Debug\CAN-PRO M0.elf not found
W:\Pulsar Files\CAN Project\Cortex Project Files\Atollic_Eclipse\CAN-PRO M0\Debug\CAN-PRO M0.elf not found
W:\Pulsar Files\CAN Project\Cortex Project Files\Atollic_Eclipse\CAN-PRO M0\Debug\CAN-PRO M0.elf not found"

I have tried regenerating the project with STM32CubeMX with no better result.

I should also mention that I am a beginner with TrueStudio.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Bughunter

Re: "elf not found" Message when opening debugger

Postby Bughunter » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:27 pm

Hello,

I found a bug in Atollic that - every time when I change the name of the project - clears the field where the elf file to be flashed is defined.
So I had a similar problem and found a solution that might help you:

elf file to debug is configured in:
menu --> run --> debug configurations... --> embedded c/c++ application --> <<Your Project's name>> Debug (4) --> Main --> C/C++ Application
(or: click the blue "configure debug" button next to the green "Debug" button.)

There you can set up your elf file (relative path should be preferred)
.\Debug\My_Project_Name.elf

where "My_Project_Name" is to be replaced with the name visible on top of the tree of the project you have opened in project explorer.

Mattias Norlander

Re: "elf not found" Message when opening debugger

Postby Mattias Norlander » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:00 am

rwduggan wrote:...I get a message that "Program file does not exist
W:\Pulsar Files\CAN Project\Cortex Project Files\Atollic_Eclipse\CAN-PRO M0\Debug\CAN-PRO M0.elf not found"

If you use the Windows file explorer to verify that the file CAN-PRO M0.elf actually exist here:
W:\Pulsar Files\CAN Project\Cortex Project Files\Atollic_Eclipse\CAN-PRO M0\Debug\

In general I would recommend against using any paths or project names that contain spaces " ". We have seen problems with this more then once.
What looks really weird is that the path to the elf-file is printed 3 times in that log output?! Why?
In your debug configuration --> tab: Main --> field: "C/C++ Application". <-- What is the value of that field?

Return to “TrueSTUDIO for STM32 discussions”