Debugger stuck at CopyDataInit:

Discussions concerning TrueSTUDIO for STM32 9.0.0 and later versions.

Moderators: Markus Girdland, Mattias Norlander

Adrian_A

Debugger stuck at CopyDataInit:

Postby Adrian_A » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:03 pm

I have been using TrueSTUDIO for STM32 for years without any major problems. Today, apparently spontaneously, when I start a debug session, the code halts at the first line of CopyDataInit: in the startup_stm32l082xx.s file, as if I have a breakpoint there. I have deleted all breakpoints and it still happens. When I resume code it just goes back to the same phantom breakpoint. I have tried a clean build, restarting the program, rebooting the computer, replacing the hardware debugger with a different one, and updating the project from CubeMX, and the behavior stays the same.

I'm not sure what to try next other than re-installing TrueStudio. The check for updates is failing out also. I'm using TrueStudio 9.3.0, Build id: 20190212-0734

Update: I isolated the problem this particular build. I had pulled in changes via egit that a co-worker had made. That messed something up that I could fix by reverting to a previous version. Pulling the changes again caused the problem again. The only change that shows up in the git version history is what should be a benign change to a .c source code file.

Adrian_A

Re: Debugger stuck at CopyDataInit:

Postby Adrian_A » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:59 pm

Update: After re-inserting the changes in the editor one by one, the problem went away, even after doing a wholesale change to the source the same way I had gotten the problem to happen before. So still no explanation for what was the problem, but it was no longer in my way.

Now the problem has come back but this time the code immediately goes back to the first executable line of code HAL_Init(); whenever I try to continue. When I quit the debugger the code runs fine, but when I run with the debugger it won't get off of the first line.

Adrian_A

Re: Debugger stuck at CopyDataInit:

Postby Adrian_A » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:25 pm

Another update:
After some apparently-unrelated code changes, the problem went away. Now it's back.

I'm stuck again, but this time it happened after I had attempted to insert a watchpoint, and I got an error message "Couldn't find an empty Watch-point register". I deleted the attempted watch-point but the program still always goes back to the first line of code when I try to resume.

Return to “TrueSTUDIO for STM32 discussions”