[solved] Issues using libopencm3 with TrueStudio

Share code examples or discuss embedded software, including device drivers, interrupt handlers, middleware and application code.

Moderators: Markus Girdland, Mattias Norlander

Contumas

[solved] Issues using libopencm3 with TrueStudio

Postby Contumas » Tue May 14, 2019 5:56 am

Hello,

I have issues trying to make libopencm3 work. I use Atollic TrueStudio v9.3.0 on Windows 10, and have a STM32F4-Discovery board.

I try to import the library and whatever the way I try (from archive, file or git) I systematically fail to compile.

here is how I proceed:
- Run Atollic TrueStudio
- File / Import / Projects from file or archive
- select the archive I downloaded from libopencm3 git repository
- the import come without error or warning
- I define STM32F4 in the project properties, under C/C++ general / Path & symbols / symbols for all languages and configurations. this doesn't need a value. it jusst appears in the source code to load appropriate H files based on your MCU.
- Then I do a 'freshen all files' and 'index rbuild'.
- I launch a build and get the first error : "fatal error : libopencm3/stm32/dac.h: no such file or directory" in 'dac.c'.
- I open the code for 'dac.c' and select the include. Then I press "F3" which is the key for jumping to the selected include, and it works, which means that TrueStudio knows where the file is, otherwise "F3" does nothing at all.

So, TrueStudio is not able to compile because he doesn't know where to find files he knows where they are o_0

I'm a hobbyist, clearly not at ease with C/C++, but I searched and tried a lot before asking. I'm keen to learn, and I'm not waiting for a solution, any hint or guidance will be welcome.
I hope you will be able to help me.
best regards,
Contumas
Last edited by Contumas on Thu May 16, 2019 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

alister

Re: Issues using libopencm3 with TrueStudio

Postby alister » Tue May 14, 2019 10:58 pm

> I open the code for 'dac.c' and select the include. Then I press "F3" which is the key for jumping to the selected include, and it works
This means Eclipse can find dac.h. The files visible to Eclipse are listed in its Project Explorer.

> "fatal error : libopencm3/stm32/dac.h: no such file or directory" in 'dac.c'.
This means GCC can't find dac.h. You have to tell GCC where to look for its include files. Right-click your project in Project Explorer and select Properties, and then C/C++ Build -> Settings, select the Tool Settings tab, C or C++ Compiler -> Directories. In the Configuration bar, select "[ All Configurations ]". Best practice is to specify relative paths. That way, presuming you're versioning controlling, your files will be found regardless of the directory your repository is cloned to. GCC's directory is the build configuration's directory, typically named Debug or Release.

Contumas

Postby Contumas » Wed May 15, 2019 4:46 am

Hi Alister
I'll check this evening when back home. Anyway, many thanks for your support.
Contumas.

Contumas

Postby Contumas » Thu May 16, 2019 5:41 am

Hi Alister,
thanks a lot for your help, it worked fine. I still have some errors, but none related to this symptom.
regards,
Contumas.

Return to “Embedded target code development discussions”