Run configuration option

Discuss how to use the features of Atollic TrueSTUDIO, including the editor, assembler, C/C++ compiler, linker, debugger, static code analysis and team collaboration tools.

Moderators: Markus Girdland, Mattias Norlander

bremenpl

Run configuration option

Postby bremenpl » Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:10 am

Hello there,
Would you consider adding run configuration to TrueStudio? In regular eclipse, basing on the debug configuration, a run configuration is automatically created. It basically runs the program without debugging. Here it would program the target mcu and detach the probe. I see this as very useful feature as I dont always want to run debug and only program the target. What do you think?

Mattias Norlander

Hi, We have added this to

Postby Mattias Norlander » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:30 pm

Hi,

We have added this to the feature request list. There are however quite a lot of requests on that list, and I can therefore not give any time estimate.

If you have an external flash utility for your target you could setup this tool as an "external tool" inside TrueSTUDIO and only have this "external tool" handle the flashing part without starting the debugger.
Go to:
Window > Customize Perspective > Tool Bar Visibility > Launch. Deselect "Launch" Then again select "Launch" or only "External Tools".

That will bring up the External tools toolbar button. Go for "External Tools Configurations" then double-click on "Program" in the left frame to create a new "configuration". Set the flash utility up with the right Command-line parameters and save it.

You could then clone this configuration to make it work for different binary files associated with different build configurations.

Perhaps not the most straight-forward solution, but it is quite flexible.

bremenpl

Hello, thank you for answer.

Postby bremenpl » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:33 pm

Yes so far i was using external tool with Jlink. Its just that i need to set it every time, run configuration would be automatic.
Thank you for info.

bremenpl

I have a question though-

Postby bremenpl » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:24 pm

I have a question though- I am using Jlink. Each time I debug, erasing + programming takes like 3 seconds. But when I run the created Jlink.exe script, programming with bin file takes about 15 seconds... Do you know what would be the case? I mean, what parameters should be passed for Jlink.exe? At the moment i got:

`
exec device = STM32F407VG
loadbin "outfile.bin", 0x0
r
g
q
`

Mattias Norlander

Hello, thank you for answer. Yes

Postby Mattias Norlander » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:42 am

Yes so far i was using external tool with Jlink. Its just that i need to set it every time, run configuration would be automatic.

Set it every time? I am not sure I am following... Could you elaborate? Do you mean Each time you create a new project? If so - then yes.

Mattias Norlander

I have a question though-

Postby Mattias Norlander » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:48 am

I have a question though- I am using Jlink. Each time I debug, erasing + programming takes like 3 seconds. But when I run the created Jlink.exe script, programming with bin file takes about 15 seconds…

My first thought question is, are you sure that it is the flash erase+flash operation that takes ~15secs or is it the whole debug launch process from clicking the debug button until debugger is launched and you are suspended on first line in main()?

If you are referring to the whole "debug launch process", then my experience is that the more project you currently have opened in your workspace, the more time Eclipse/CDT will consume doing pre-debug launch checks. Do you also have an ST-Link that you could use to see if the behavior is the same? The ST-Link would probably be slightly slower on the flash operation...

bremenpl

Yes I meants every time

Postby bremenpl » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:01 am

Yes I meants every time I create project. Mattias- Debug is fast, program script is slow.

Erik Loehr

Hi all, My name is Erik

Postby Erik Loehr » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:48 am

Hi all,

My name is Erik Loehr and I am member of the SEGGER J-Link team.

I am not sure if i understand you correct and you are experiencing slow programming speed in J-Link Commander or in Atollic TrueSTUDIO but in both cases you are working with very slow interface speed which results in slow programming speed.

In J-Link Commander you do not specify any interface speeds so in old versions (the one he is using) a default of 100 kHz is used. In the GDB init file, used in Atollic TrueSTUDIO, you specify the interface speed to 30 kHz which is pretty slow.

Maximum possible interface speed depends on different factors as for example the hardware design, used cable wires, signal quality, etc...In general 4000 kHz is a good default which is working on most hardware.

For J-Link Commander, we would recommend to update to the latest version 5.10g (link) and pass the interface settings via command line arguments as follows: JLink.exe -device STM32F407VG -if SWD -speed 4000 -AutoConnect 1

For Atollic TrueSTDUIO, we would recommend to use "monitor speed 4000" instead of "monitor speed 30".

Best regards
Erik

bremenpl

Thank you for info, i

Postby bremenpl » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:15 pm

Thank you for info, i will do that.

Return to “Atollic TrueSTUDIO tool discussions”