GBD command line interface with Segger J-Link

Discuss how to use the features of Atollic TrueSTUDIO, including the editor, assembler, C/C++ compiler, linker, debugger, static code analysis and team collaboration tools.

Moderators: Markus Girdland, Mattias Norlander

emacs

GBD command line interface with Segger J-Link

Postby emacs » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:18 am

When using TrueStudio with the ST-LINK I have a GDB command line interface in the console window. Extremely convenient for setting breakpoints, e.g.:

Code: Select all

b my_function

For some reason same doesn't work with the Segger J-Link. There is plenty of GDB output in the console window, but I can't interact with the GDB.

Setting breakpoint via menu is inconvenient; requires too many mouse clicks.

Does anyone know how to get GDB command line when using Segger J-Link?

Thanks.

chriskeeser

Re: GBD command line interface with Segger J-Link

Postby chriskeeser » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:51 am

when interacting with the console in debug mode, there is console drop down on the right hand side which should let you switch between the 5 (give or take) consoles. One of those consoles is the GDB server (which is what you see normally) and the other is the GDB client (should say something like /./././././JLinkGDB). If you select the GDB client console/terminal, you can issue normal GDB commands.

emacs

Re: GBD command line interface with Segger J-Link

Postby emacs » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:58 am

That works! Thanks!

Further to this, to prevent TrueStudio from switching back to the GDB server console each time there is some output there, click on the 'Pin Console' button when the GDB client console is visible.

Return to “Atollic TrueSTUDIO tool discussions”