Getting started under Linux

Discuss how to use the features of Atollic TrueSTUDIO, including the editor, assembler, C/C++ compiler, linker, debugger, static code analysis and team collaboration tools.

Moderators: Markus Girdland, Mattias Norlander

ntitley

Getting started under Linux

Postby ntitley » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:24 pm

I'm at a complete loss as to what I'm doing to get started under Linux

Background:
I've got TrueStudio 9.2 lite installed with
ST-LINKV2
STEVAL-IDB008V2
Ubuntu 16.04

I can run up Truestudio, create a new project using the BlueNRG-2 template, I don't add any code to the template, which I think should just flash the three LEDs on the board, and I compile and run up the debugger. It starts and, I believe, stops at the first breakpoint (just after main()). The ST-LINK light flashes green and red.

On the board the green power LED is on and so is the amber LED.

That's it... if I disable or toggle the breakpoint I think it should start to run the template code, which should flash all the LEDS. Nothing happens. The orange LED stays on.

Am I being amazingly stupid? I'm really stuck here at the first hurdle and *any* help would be appreciated. I've been fighting this for a week up to now. I've even tried running up a Windows virtual machine, installed TrueStudio (and the STLINK driver) and it behaves the same way. The board seems functional, I can install the example sensors demo from windows and it talks to the app on my phone so I'm fairly sure the STEVAL-IDB008V2 is fully functional.

Thanks for any pointers.

ntitley

Re: Getting started under Linux

Postby ntitley » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:40 pm

I'm beginning to think I have a faulty ST-LINK. Can anyone comment on the advantage of using a Segger J-LINK as opposed to an ST-LINK?

ntitley

Re: Getting started under Linux

Postby ntitley » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:44 pm

Shelled out for J-Link base. Everything now works.

Either I have a faulty ST-LINK or the ST-LINK doesn't work with the BlueNRG-2 (possible, from my reading around).

Anyway... I'm down a week's development time (thanks STM) but I can now start to make some progress.

Return to “Atollic TrueSTUDIO tool discussions”