Flashing custom board via Nucleo gives "Unknown MCU Target"

Discuss how to use the features of Atollic TrueSTUDIO, including the editor, assembler, C/C++ compiler, linker, debugger, static code analysis and team collaboration tools.

Moderators: Markus Girdland, Mattias Norlander

L. MacKenzie

Flashing custom board via Nucleo gives "Unknown MCU Target"

Postby L. MacKenzie » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:55 pm

I am using TrueStudio Lite to flash a custom board via a Nucleo. I have removed the ST-LINK jumpers from the Nucleo programmer and connected my custom board to the SWD header. In TrueStudio set the debug probe to ST-LINK with the GDB Connection Settings to "Autostart local GDB server" and the Interface to JTAG. I am using the STM32F767IIT6 chip, so I configured the target to be the STM32F767II. When I click "Debug", it builds my source code just fine, but then gives me this error:

Code: Select all

Target unknown MCU target

Error in initializing ST-Link device.
Reason: Unknown MCU found on target.

What does this error mean? And how can I fix it? I have looked for this error, but not found anything helpful. I have also looked through the tutorials on using TrueStudio, but have not been able to find anything to explain what I am doing wrong or how I need to set my project up.

Also, this is a project that I have inherited and I know that the board can and has been programmed this way before, so I know that the board wiring is correct and I am pretty certain that my wiring between the Nucleo and the board is also correct, so I am pretty certain that this is an issue with my project configuration in TrueStudio.

Also, I am new to TrueStudio, so please explain. Thanks!

hal_atollic

Re: Flashing custom board via Nucleo gives "Unknown MCU Target"

Postby hal_atollic » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:30 pm

Set the Interface to SWD.

Cheers, Hal

L. MacKenzie

Postby L. MacKenzie » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:45 pm

Thanks for the post. I set the Interface to SWD and now when I click Debug, I get the error:

Code: Select all

Target no device found

Error in initializing ST-Link device.
Reason: No device found on target.

Do you know what the problem is, or have any advice how I can fix this?

Thanks!
Logan

hal_atollic

Postby hal_atollic » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:28 pm

The problem seems to be with the custom board, or your wiring to it, of which we have no visibility.

Things to look at:
Is the board powered up?
Is the SWD cabling correct to the board?
Is the board and Nucleo on a common ground?
Is the board reset pin pulled high?

Cheers, Hal

L. MacKenzie

Postby L. MacKenzie » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:22 pm

Thanks for the response. I made sure that the board was powered up and doubled checked the cabling to the board and everything seems to be good. The board and the Nucleo should be on a common ground since I connected the GND on the Nucleo's CN6 header to the GND header on the custom board. I measured the voltage on the reset pin and it is pulled up to 3.3V.

I also tested that I could flash the Nucleo just by dropping a binary file into the Nucleo directory on my computer and that works just fine, the issue seems like it is something with my wiring or configuration, but I think I have double checked everything.

When I use the STM32 ST-Link Utility to try to connect to my custom board I cannot select a serial number in the target settings. It just says, "Old ST-LINK firmware/ST-LINK already used". What does that mean?

Thanks!
Logan

hal_atollic

Postby hal_atollic » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:30 pm

Try updating your ST-Link driver.
Cheers, Hal

L. MacKenzie

Postby L. MacKenzie » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:44 pm

I re-downloaded and re-installed the ST-Link driver from http://www.st.com/en/development-tools/ ... are-scroll and was able to upgrade the firmware from ST-Link to V2.J28.M18, but I still get the same error in TrueStudio when I try to debug, and I cannot connect with the ST-Link Utility either. I am going to try and go back over everything I have done with setting up the project and wiring and double check everything again.

Thanks for the help!
Logan

hal_atollic

Postby hal_atollic » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:00 pm

If you still can't find the problem, a possibility is a misconception as to what is correct. As a start, post a diagram or detailed description of your MCU pin to ST-LINK pin connections.

Cheers, Hal

L. MacKenzie

Postby L. MacKenzie » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:37 pm

I found the problem. My wiring was correct, but at some point I must have incorrectly connected the headers because I damaged my PCB's programming interface. The existing firmware on the board still functions correctly, but I am no longer able to program the board. I tested with another board and I can program it just fine.

Adrian_A

Postby Adrian_A » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:32 pm

I'm having the same problem now, but strangely:

1. I can program the chip just fine via SWD using the new STM32CubeProgrammer.
2. I have another STM32H7 chip on the same board, with the identical implementation of the debugger hardware interface. I can program it and debug it via SWD and TrueStudio just fine.

Update: In my debugger configuration, JTAG was selected rather than SWD. Not sure that happened, but hopefully this will help someone.

Return to “Atollic TrueSTUDIO tool discussions”