Repeated debug sessions without downloading the same code

Discuss how to use the features of Atollic TrueSTUDIO, including the editor, assembler, C/C++ compiler, linker, debugger, static code analysis and team collaboration tools.

Moderators: Markus Girdland, Mattias Norlander

frank_ee

Repeated debug sessions without downloading the same code

Postby frank_ee » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:21 pm

Hello,

Can you avoid downloading code for repeated debug sessions? In other words, I am trying to find the reason the code halts due to a software exception which results in the debugger being restarted. The download takes time due to the program size. Also, sometimes the debugger stops functioning and which requires a restart.

Thanks

Markus Girdland

Re: Repeated debug sessions without downloading the same code

Postby Markus Girdland » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:18 am

Hi Frank,

Are you using an ST-link? If the device status goes into HALT_MODE and the debugger becomes unresponsive it sounds like an issue with too many breakpoints. If you clear them out does that make a difference?

jmrpe

Postby jmrpe » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:46 pm

Just use the 'Restart' button, which is next to the Resume button (look like the play icon). This will restart the debug session without reloading the code.

frank_ee

Postby frank_ee » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:55 pm

Hello,

It's not the excess breakpoint debug startup or restart problem, sometimes the debugger stops responding. Basically, the suspend or restart buttons do not activate and a termination is required. To debug again requires downloading code which can take time due to the program size. Can you bypass downloading code if the flash memory is already programmed from a previous session?

Thanks

bosley_music

Postby bosley_music » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:44 am

I'm having the same termination problems using J-Link and Atollic 8.0. It won't halt the CPU and continues to try to read an address that has nothing to do with what's in my .map. Since my platform is ST, I also tried ST-Link, and same issues.

Return to “Atollic TrueSTUDIO tool discussions”